A TV screen or projector and a computer or tablet are necessary for this activity. Each student should have a copy of the handout and each group should get a copy of their team character card.
1. Along with the JTE introduce the language target for the lesson and explain that we'll do fun race game to practice the language.
2. Begin the example with the ALT in the roll of teacher and the JTE in the roll of student.
3. Go to the example screen slide and have the JTE select to play as Koopa or Mario.
4. Click on the star and the keywords will appear. The students must use these key words in their answers.
5. ALT then asks the first question to the JTE. For example 'What does Doraemon eat?' The JTE pretends to write the answer then comes to the ALT with the answer 'He eats dorayaki'. Say 'great' and click on their character's name. This will cause the character to move one space and then ask question number two 'Does Nobita like Shizuka?' and JTE will pretend to go back to their group, and tell them question two, make it clear a new member must come with the answer for question two and then hear question three.
6. Repeat these steps until the fourth question has been answered.
7. Click on the star again to bring up the answer card and tell them after each round we'll check the answers.
8. Then click on the star again to show that the 1st place team gets 5 points, 2nd place team gets 4 points, 3rd place team gets 3 points and all remaining teams get 2 points regardless of where they finish. After the third place team has finished I generally set a 10 second timer to bring the round to an end.
9. Record the team points on the board and then hit the continue arrow to move to the next screen.
10. At this point I have the students make groups and hand out the worksheets.
11. Once they are in groups I show them the next screen. If you click once it will have all the characters drive by. Have one member from each group come up and pick their character card and bring it back to the group. Then ask each group what character they picked and write them down on the board for each group.
12. Proceed to the round. There are a few small differences. Naturally there are nine characters rather than two. If you have fewer groups and find the screen a bit too crowded then click on the unused characters finishing line. This will cause them to vanish. After you click on the star the key words box will appear on the screen. At the end of the round for the answer check click on the keywords box to get the answer box and next screen arrows to appear. Before starting I tell the students they should answer the question, one member goes to the JTE with their answer. After the JTE checks the answer they come to me and tell me their team name. I move the character then give them to next question. After the round is finished check answers and reward each team their points.
13. Before continuing to round two the bonus screen comes up. If they want they can pick a number box and either get a (+3,+1 or -3). One member from each group comes and picks a number. The ALT handles the computer and the JTE modifies the team scores. Once done continue to the next round and the next set of key words and questions.